Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Swim Lessons: Take 2

Take 2...

Ever since Monday, Kayode has been dreading swim lessons!

We tried talking to him to let him know that he was going to learn to be the best swimmer...
Didn't work!
Tried telling him it would be fun...
Didn't work!
Tried to tell him he'd be much safer in the water...
You guessed it! Didn't work!!!
Through all of our talking, he finally admitted that he didn't like getting water up his nose and in his eyes... who does?!?
So we....Finally bribed him with new goggles and a nose plug...
and it worked!!!

By noon today, he was excited and couldn't wait to go!
Kayode was so excited at the pool...
they waited and watched for their teachers to arrive!
They even let me take pictures today...
(that wasn't happening on Monday!)
Kayode is ready to conquer swim lessons!
He's going to give it his all!

Then swimming lessons started....

He went over and sat in a circle with the other kids and the teachers. He got in line anxiously waiting to jump into the pool. Finally, it was his turn... he jumped! (With a smile on, I might add!) The teacher in the pool wasn't totally paying attention and, of course, Kayode can't swim hence the reason he's in swimming lessons... so he was struggling to get to the ladder until the other teacher jumped into the water to help him! He was alright, though... he joined the group at the wall and did a few bobs...

Then it happened... he got out of the pool to go "potty" and then informed me he was done!

"I don't like swimming lessons," he said.

"I don't want to be a better swimmer."

"I want to stay here with you!"

I wrapped him in his towel and went over to the side of the pool to watch the swimming lessons. He wanted to go back in for the diving for toys part of the lesson, but he was too late. Then he got into the pool for the "baby kicks." He kicked and kicked and I though maybe he'd stick it out... but... no! Again, he climbed out of the pool, got his towel and sat down on the outside of the pool to watch!

I guess we'll try again on Friday! I think Daddy's going to take him next time! Maybe he'll stay in the pool to show off for him!


No comments: